We found an issue with Quickbooks Pro or Enterprise running on a Domain controller and have found a fix for us. After scouring the web for information, we couldn't find a solution which was easy and worked repeatedly. The problem is the QB Database service conflicts the DNS Server service which is required to run active directory in a single server environment. Typically a quick fix was to stop the DNS Server service, then start the QuickBooksDB service. Ultimately to fix the issue, change the QB service "Log On" from "./QBDataServicesUser" to "Local System" and checked Allow service to interact with desktop, it should start without issue. Hope it works for you!
Here is how we fixed it:
The client was unable to open QB in multi-user mode on local pc from the database on the server, logged into their server and found the Quickbooks Database Server Manager was not running. When I clicked the "start scan" button it said it could not start the services QuickBooksDB. So I logged into the services manager and tried to start the QuickBooksDB27 service manually, it would start but turn off immediately, This was the third version installed on the PC the first version was QB 2015 then QB 2016 then QB 2017, QBDB25 was "Log on as" .\QBDataServiceUser25, then QB 16 was "Log on" as Local System account, QB 2017 went back to "Log on" as ./QBDataServeicesUser27. Since the QBDBMgrN.exe is looking for permission to from QuickBooksDB27 to start and the service would not start because it was using the same ports as DNS, I changed the "Log On" from This account to Local System account and checked Allow service to interact with desktop, clicked apply then OK went back to services on QuickbooksDB27, clicked "start the service" and the services started right up. went back to Quickbooks Database Server Manager and clicked the "start scan" button this time it scanned the files and started the Quickbooks Database Server Manager and the user was able to log into QB on a local machine and switch to Multi-User Mode.
This is the second client I've had to do this too and it has worked without any more issues.